Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Character Corner: Saix




I know, I know, before I start all of you are PROBABLY wondering: "out of all the people she could have done, why'd she have to go and pick Saix?" 
Well, because Xehanort's pretty self-explanatory and I feel like Saix has a better story, especially where Axel's concerned I suppose.  Yes, I’m aware that this is all back-tracking since Saix isn’t around anymore.  However, Saix is an integral part of why Axel is the way he is today, so I’m still including this.


Name: Saix
Age: Undetermined.  Probably early-to-mid twenties.
Weapon: Claymore.
Quote: "Remember me as I was."

The Conflicted Luna Diviner who goes Berserk.

I wanted Saix to still be evil.  I loathed him in Days, with how he treated Roxas and Xion.  It always seemed to me that when I was playing that game, or reading the novels or even the manga, that Saix was responsible for the decline in his friendship with Axel.  So, I played off a lot of that.  And I feel that showed during the first half of All the Pieces at least.  

Saix was bitter and angry and no-nonsense.  He wanted power.  He thought that hanging around Xehanort would get him that power.  He was brutal to Axel.  You only need to read the Novels to know just how disgusting Saix was to Axel.  As for All the Pieces, every time they fought, the battles got worse and worse.  Saix actually enjoyed Axel's pain.  Saix taunted Axel.  Yet, at the same time, Axel taunted Saix and often wished to "light his high-and-mighty cloak on fire" or make the X on his face bigger (which, he actually did.)  So, I can't really say that Saix was the only cruel one. I choose not to think about how bloodied and bruised up they got in their battles.  Especially the last one.  

Therefore, Saix was a complicated character as much as Axel was.  They established for me that their friendship was over sometime around the time that they were turned into Nobodies.  I can't remember exactly which they had decided on during the fic-writing.  However, as of now, Axel's giving me info that would imply that they had a sliver of a friendship after their Nobody-status.  Regardless, after that, it declined fast.  And though Axel was willing to try and regain it, Saix didn't want to.  

As I wrote, Saix became more and more complicated.  I soon realized that if he wanted power, then he'd want to eventually overthrow Xehanort.  Of course, he takes a while to actually come to this conclusion.  And he happens to go about "overthrowing" Xehanort in a very stupid manner.  Yes, let's kill the man so full of darkness it's disgusting with darkness.  Because THAT will work.  (Thank you for that lovely bit of sarcasm, Axel.)

All Saix ended up doing is destroying himself.  On top of that, he refused Axel's attempt to save him.  It wasn’t even that he didn’t want to make amends.  I don’t think Saix would have been able to live with himself if he was given yet another chance.  He was ready to go and if Axel would let him go peacefully, he would.  Therefore, he and Axel exchange one last bit of banter before Saix tells Axel to "remember him as he was."  Those words are full of the most sincerity I ever saw Saix muster in the fic. 

Then he is basically consumed by darkness.  The darkness tries to take Axel too, like Saix warned, but Mickey stops it.

That last line of Saix's will come to haunt Axel.  And until he gets over it, I have to deal with occasional bouts of moodiness.  

Axel, kindly get away from rar's Riku.  It's not good for your health.

No comments:

Post a Comment