Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Vincent's Magical Cloak (Prequel ch40)

Vincent probably hates me right now.  His tag for me on tumblr is Vincent the Vampire.  Heheh.

Link to the chapter

Link to the tumbl

Anyway, this chapter marks the beginning of Zack's healing, slash the end of the current giant feels fest that we were on.  I say current, because I can almost promise you that there will be more fests of feels.

Anyway, I'm not quite sure when I decided that Tifa's father was just going to be this absent, uncaring, backwards-ish figure, that just sort of happened.  According to everything I remember from the game/what I've read on the wiki, mostly he just didn't want Tifa hanging out with Cloud because he blamed Cloud for Tifa getting hurt on Mt. Nibel.  I don't think he had any other fault than that.  However, once I started writing him, he ended up being someone who didn't want Tifa to fight, partially because he doesn't want her to get hurt and partially because he doesn't think girls should fight.  He also doesn't feel like it's proper for girls to go out on adventures so.... But Tifa had to drag him home for dinner to tell him she was leaving.  Yeah...

It does go into my vast-array of parent portrayals, however.  Like, Kairi's biological parents are just legit gone and her grandmother died, but she doesn't remember her real parents so her adopted ones on Destiny Islands are just her real parents.  And they're kind and accepting, supportive people.  Sora's parents are a bit spacey, I feel, but they love their son.  Riku's dad's a dead-beat goner, but his mother sure stepped up to the plate and filled the role of amazing single parent.

Not sure where Aerith's dad ended up... did I declare him dead? I don't think he would have left... he probably passed away.  Aerith's mom didn't survive Radiant Garden's plunge-- but she was a lovely woman before then! Leon's mom died in childbirth and his dad's a bit of an absentminded dude with a big sense of wanderlust.  (He's at least redeemed himself.)  Cloud's dad is dead but his mom is supportive (uh-oh, I seem to have a lot of supportive mom's... actually, Sora's mom's a worry-wort and his dad's the carefree one, still though...) I think it's 'cause Riku's mom is just going to support Riku to the ends of the earth anyway, Aerith's mom was just knowledgeable and nice and Cloud's mom was like, "go do your thing, have some food!" (Very much like Aerith, actually...) And then there's Tifa's dad, who wants to constrain her, but can't because Tifa's too darn stubborn.  Oh, and then there's Zack's parents: his mother is a huge Zerith shipper and just wants Zack and Aerith to settle down somewhere and then there's Zack's dad who's totes supportive of his son going out and killing things.  And then Rinoa's dad is (oh eff... maybe I'm not so diverse as I thought...) because Rinoa's dad is somewhat like Tifa's dad in the manner of controlling and her mother's dead so nothing can be done about that.  However, Squeenix set me up for some of this stuff... So... yeah...

Anyway, rar and I spent like, half a morning discussing how long it would take to legit walk from one place to another, trying to extrapolate miles and terrain and whatnot.  It involved quite the map search of FFVII.  This was about when I was beating Crisis Core, too, so I was actually calculating things as it was ('cause Zack and Cloud on a motorcycle and all.)

by darcywilliam on dA
But anyway, let's talk about Vincent for a bit, shall we? I have a lovely picture of him! (Excellent cosplay, actually).

I didn't actually include Vincent in the original outline.  It was only when one of my readers asked if I was going to include him that I even thought about a cameo.  And I figured this would be a great opportunity.  Because, why the heck not? Tifa can totes meet him on the road.  (I'm sorry, my roommate says 'totes' a lot and I appear to have picked it up.)  But yeah, Vincent and his magical cloak are totally on the job for helping.  I've also determined that Vincent's cloak can take him from World-to-World if he so chooses.  Tifa's off-World transportation will come later.

And yeah, Vincent met Zack shortly after Zack left Gongaga, I feel.  Before Genesis interfered, that's for sure.  But Vincent never actually spoke with Zack, because Zack (like usual) was on his way somewhere and wasn't really stopping.  And it is just amusing that Tifa runs into him later.  (Though, her running into Zack and Aerith in Gongaga was certainly more planned than her running into Vincent.)

Excuse me while I be weirded out for a minute that Zack and Cloud haven't met yet.  Okay.  The minute is over.

I think that's all... so... yeah!


No comments:

Post a Comment