Sunday, July 28, 2013

Stepping Stones (Prequel Ch5)

I feel that's an accurate description of the chapter: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9446325/5/What-s-all-Gone-on-Before

It kind of is a "stepping stones" chapter, considering it's made up of four smaller parts.  Each of these parts is a step away from what happened before and/or a step towards what's coming next.

We hadn't seen Cloud yet, but I needed to set up several things with him:
-His relationship with Tifa
-His unhappiness of where he's at
-His want to go adventuring
And so I did just that.  Sure, in a future chapter with him (minor spoilers), he's still in Nibelheim, but he's working towards his goals.

We had yet to see a chapter featuring Isa and Lea as main characters, only as side characters.  I didn't particularly have enough information on them to warrant a full chapter.  It's not really an area I'm exploring and what happens to them is relatively explained in the games themselves.  I took what we knew and made a snippet of a chapter.

Kairi's chapter featured both her and Zack.  It was a step away from Kairi in the first chapter and it certainly pulls from that.  It's also a step away from the last chapter where Zack was featured.  He's now in Hollow Bastion and looking for his own means of transportation outside of the black feathers.  Kairi's part of the chapter is also a step towards what will happen next--both in Hollow Bastion and for Zack.

Then there's Aerith's part of the chapter, which also features Kairi.  Go figure.  Aerith's part of the chapter, similar to Kairi's, pulls from the first chapter, as well as leads into future chapters.  Just you wait and see.  The plot is moving forward!

The picture on the right depicts the characters ALMOST at the age at which I'm writing them.  (I'm a year off.)  I saw the picture and really wanted to use it.  I feel it reflects how they all look at this point in their stories.  Picture courtesy of ~sakurabatou on DeviantArt (though she has since moved to a new account).  I realize I could just use the picture when the characters ARE those depicted ages... but I have other images I want to use heheh...

Review Responses!

WritersProse Chapter 2&3: I really appreciate your analysis and such! I'm also glad you found Rinoa's relationship with Angelo cool :) I do apologize for how this ends up coming across with the constant switching every chapter. Though, I do promise that several chapters down the road, things are a lot more connected.  It helps that several characters will meet up and start interacting with each other on a semi-permanent basis, the stories will become connected and there won't be such jarring switches.  On that note, I will strive not to do recaps of previous chapters as I switch to a new one like I seem to have done with chapters 2 and 3.  I'm trying to keep everything set in a KH universe, though a lot of Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core will bleed through.  I'm glad to hear my characterization and dialogue is solid, however :)

KKBeckett Chapter 5: Yes, that was definitely a reference to the Buster Sword (though in my canon, Cloud has YET to get it come Betwixt and Between--which is a function of Zack having it lol).  But yeah, totally a reference.  I'm glad you like the Lea/Isa bits, even though you found them eerie.  I find that entire relationship eerie and a bit tragic (as you can see by the end of AtP...).  KH3 isn't going to change that I don't think.  I question if Isa is redeemable.  I'm up for a little debate on that, however.  Anyway, it's seen later in the chapter how Kairi knows what a star shard is--she heard Mickey and Aqua talking about them likely.  (If that doesn't actually happen in BBS... whoops....) However, some of that is Kairi just knowing things like that as a function of being a Princess of Heart.  And Zack is all for taking the tip.  And yes... darkness is coming.  (I don't consider this spoilers, considering the games themselves dictate Radiant Garden's/Hollow Bastion's history.)

Video!


I love TSFH.  You should listen to them sometime.  I watched this video and had feels.  So I'm sharing it with you all.

Byes for nows!

No comments:

Post a Comment