Monday, February 2, 2015

Traverse Town AKA Mark of Mastery (Chapters 79-88)

This sequence started out more as a concept than anything else.  I wanted there to be another Mark of Mastery (ever since Betwixt and Between).  But I never got around to writing it because of how epically Betwixt and Between failed in so many ways.

But I still wanted to do the Mark of Mastery exam.  Traverse Town seemed to be as good of a setting as any, so I went with it.  The biggest question for me I suppose then was when I was going to put it.  The sequence as a whole got moved around several times for various reasons.  I didn't want to have it too early, to give the characters more reasonable time to be prepping for the exam (even if they didn't know it.)  But I also didn't want it to be the last thing because, for me, it didn't really seem like an end-game sort of plot arc.  So I wanted it in the middle.  I do know it got pushed back a little because when rar and I cemented the Larxene sequence of events, it was happening right in the middle, and I couldn't have half my cast go gallivanting off while they were supposed to be taking their Marks of Mastery.  So it got pushed back in that regard.

But overall, I'm fairly happy where it takes place.

I struggled a bit with pacing and POV.  I wanted to keep things interesting and do a mixture of POVs from the scenes, but I also didn't want anything to come off as repetitive.  There were a couple of near-entire chapter rewrites I think.  But you all seem to like it, which is good!

The first stage of the exam was very much like Aqua and Terra's first stage.  Yay element balls.  And since that was overall self-explanitory and not much more interesting than comments on particular fighting styles, I was able to have Riku, Sora, and Namine catch everyone else up with what else had been going on.

Then, to break up the narrative, I stuck in the scenes with Mickey and Xigbar, and Marlene in Hollow Bastion.  I wanted Mickey to run into Xigbar ever since the whole Xigbar arc got put in place.  And I'm really happy with how that turned out.

The bit with Marlene was more because I wanted to include something from Marlene's POV than anything else.  Because her and Denzel are such cuties.

 But back to the exam... The second part was Master against student.  Kind of like how Aqua and Terra fought each other, but at the same time, not really.  I paired who I paired very intentionally, trying (obviously) not to pair couples or close friends.

Aqua versus Kairi was very much me experimenting with different fighting styles.  I know I somewhat fell into the "Kairi as magic user" trope, and I should have had her do more power-house moves.  And I kind of regret that.  I don't regret Kairi just unleashing light when she feels like it though.  It really was an exercise in fighting styles.

Riku versus Ven was also fun.  Even more so because I told the whole thing from Aqua's POV.  Riku's tank versus Ven's lightweight almost Airbender attitude.

Then came Marlynort bothering Hollow Bastion.  That scene pretty much speaks for itself.  Things I'm super in love with is Denzel and Marlene's attitudes toward everything, Pi standing up to Marlynort, and Barret calling Zack impulsive.

So Terra versus Sora.  I wanted these two to spar because Sora brings out the best of everyone.  And Terra could use that.  (Sure, he's already gotten rid of some pretty nasty parts of his heart, but a little extra boost can't hurt.)  Sora's thought process through that entire thing was great to write as well.  Sometimes, Sora's hard to write for because he's so dang nice.  Sometimes, he's super easy to write for--because he's so dang nice.

Then we got Ven and Kairi's thoughts thinking back on the exams, because I wanted to get more rounded scenarios.  (I think these were some of the parts I had to rewrite, but maybe not.  I honestly can't remember.)  Through Kairi's POV we also get to see Aqua sparring with Xion and Kairi feeling a little like she's not all that great.  But then Sora reminds her that she is fantastic and he's such a cutie.

Then Riku versus Roxas.  And I couldn't resist a "Roxas-breaking-Riku's-hand" reference.  Because I just love that whole exchange at the end of Days.

Ah yes, then the Leon chapter.  This was one that I definitely rewrote a lot of to prevent being repetitive.  The first part not so much because it was stuff before the exam even took place.  Because the HB gang was at one point a Traverse Town gang and them wandering around seemed necessary.  But then I refined and condensed things from the exam that Leon could gloss over because you all had already read it.

And then comes the final portion of the exam.  I took inspiration from KH3D and had a little bit of a "dream-drop" sort of thing where they all fight something inside of their hearts.  Sora and Riku pretty much take it in stride but then Aerith gets super antsy.  So Namine starts delving to check.  And then... well... Xehanort.

Because when else would he show up.

Ah yes.  Then it was the chapter of Cloud doing things that I didn't plan on.  Which is fine... I just... didn't plan them.  Like the whole thing with the Hero's Medallion taken from Zack.  I didn't plan that.  Cloud went and did that on his own.  Like I wasn't watching or something.  But yeah, Cloud's done dealing with Hades.  Did Herc help him? Yeah.  But half of Cloud's character development right now is Cloud accepting that he can't do everything on his own.

 Then comes Rinoa during the Xehanort fight.  One of my favorite lines is "Was that a pattern they were in? How many times had they done this?" Because, Sora and Riku have done this.  A lot.

Mmmmm.  Ah.  Yes.  Leon almost getting Norted.  That one surprised everyone.  Including I think rar.  Because it's just so unexpected.  I wanted there to be one that came out of nowhere.  Because Nort going after Cloud almost makes sense.  In my notes, the Remnant tried to go after Rinoa first, but she's got so much power and even levels of light and darkness that he decided it wasn't worth it.  So then he goes after Leon instead.  And he gets close.

Then Rinoa is forced to fight Leon possessed by Xehanort much like Squall had to fight Rinoa possessed by Adel... and Ultimecia...

Then I switched gears and went backwards a bit into Namine's POV.  Namine drawing stuff going on in everyone's hearts.  And then Namine and Aerith coming to the same conclusion at the same time.  Aerith needed to be in Traverse Town.  And Aerith standing up to Yen Sid is a beautiful thing.  Because Yen Sid's such this aloof character that nearly everyone in all of Disney reveres and Aerith's just like "not taking your BS, send me where I need to go"

But then Namine is just like "take my star shard, it'll be fine."

Okay, granted, I was jumping around all over the place as far as time is concerned... but Leon and Rinoa proposing to each other.  Because Leon's been thinking about doing it for some time now, but he doesn't even get the chance to get all of the words out and Rinoa actually proposes first.  It's great.  And Aerith knows what's going on, but she just quietly gives them space.

Then we've got some wrap-up on Hollow Bastion's end.  But that's pretty much it.



No comments:

Post a Comment